23 Feb 2012

Léonard Defrance

One of the perks with being rather uneducated about The Arts is that you constantly stumble upon artists you'd never heard of. This happened today, to me. And it was awesome.

Defrance (1735-1805) was a Belgian painter and according to what I could find through an Google image search, he was very fond of painting ordinary people in ordinary and sometimes less than graceful situations. Things that I love!

These paintings seem to be the more known of his work, since I got many versions of them in my search results. The resolution is not always great, but here we go:

Men Fighting. Hermitage Museum

Women fighting.  Hermitage Museum   

Fish market. Some oil painting on demand site. Totally copyrighted.



Interior of a forge. Artnet
Recruting officer in a public house. Artnet
The breakfast. Hermitage Museum
Visiting the printers. Musée de Grenoble




And my absolute favourite...
The rope dancer The Met

Follow the link and zoom in! Look at her little outfit! Who's going to make it? It won't be me, I'm afraid - don't have the legs for it.



9 comments:

  1. Is it weird of me that I'm fascinated by the top two fighting paintings?

    I love the yellow outfit in Visiting the Printers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a new find for me too. How fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very interesting, Never heard of him, but his subject matter is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Seems I had posted The Rope Dance twice. Blogger and pictures are driving me nuts sometimes.

    Cynthia: I know! And I find the fighting women hilarious!

    I'm glad you too found these paintings interesting, Augustintytär and Banker Chick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! I love that he actually painted ordinary people doing ordinary stuff in ordinary places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Love* I have never heard of him either. We shall force Caroline to make the rope dancer costume, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing! especially the fighting ones and the rope dancer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sanna K: I know, I can't get enough of such themes!

    Isis: You're absolutely right! It shall be so!

    Johanna: You're welcome. I'm absolutely in love with the rope dance myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of him either. Thanks for the parade of paintings, some of them I really like.

    ReplyDelete