7 Aug 2009

Interested? An open question (or several)

For the last couple of days, I've been thinking about how nice it would be to have a neat little discussion forum about historical costuming and sewing to visit. I've searched for a bit but not found quite what I was looking for, so I thought: Hey, I could set up such a forum myself!

But: a forum is only of use if people are interested in joining in.

So my questions are: Would you be interested in a discussion forum focused on historical costumes and sewing (not necessarily limited to the 18th c.)?

Is there a need for a forum like this, or is there already a good alternative out there (in that case: let me know!)?

I have a little experience in managing a vBulletin forum and I have a web hosting plan that's not close to being used to its fullest, so if there's enough interest, I could easily set something up in 30 minutes.

So. Let me know what y'all think.

All the best,

Madame

10 comments:

  1. As sure as Mme. Pompadour rules France I'd love to see a forum like that! Eeeh, hehe...
    I've never thought of it - but it IS very lengthy communicating with other rococophiles through blogs, hehe ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly! I love commenting on blogs - and to receive comments, of course - but it's not ideal if you wish to gather and keep information in one place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a member of several US/Canadian military reenactment civilian forums, but even though they discuss sewing a lot, they don't quite hit the spot (lovely people, but they do tend to go into fits at the mention of silk!). Having someplace just for the historic costuming community would be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you look kindly upon the prospect. Maybe we have something here..?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! I'm currently part of the Regency Society of America board, part of our local Oregon Regency Society, and sometimes I pop in and out of the Sense and Sensibility Boards. I think it would be nice to have a strictly 18th century costuming forum :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is fantastic - but would be nice if it wasn't only 18th century!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, it's a great idea, especially if it's open to questions, discussions, comments. I'm a part of the "18th c woman" yahoo group right now, but I find yahoo groups a bit difficult to use...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the idea. I'm thinking I'll just set a forum up soon, and see what happens. What's the worst that could happen? :P

    Stay tuned!

    Elle: I'm also a (lurking) memeber there, and though the vast knowledge available there is impressive, the format of the whole yahoo group-thing gives me a headache every time. And there's no pretties! I want pretties (as in avatars, signatures etc...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a costumer-in-waiting, I love this idea! I've been reading a lot, but I know that when I come to the actual sewing, I'm going to have lots of questions and would be interested to read about other people's projects and discussions.

    ReplyDelete